Thursday, February 23, 2012

6'2 Driftwood Stubby

Here's my take on a slightly shorter version of the modern displacement hull. I call it the driftwood stubby.  These boards were originally designed for California point breaks but I have found that with slight tweaks to the rocker, rail profile and length, these boards can be a lot of fun in many conditions including clean beach breaks.. 


Wide point, still slightly ahead of center accenting the Volan cloth deck patch nicely.


Outline inspired by the board Ritchie West rode in George Greenough's classic movie, Crystal Voyager.


9" Flex fin placed forward in the wider, arc-tail.


Fine foil with a bit more rocker in the nose and tail than some of the more "extreme" shapes on the market. This helps huge with wave entry and overall control. 

 
Here's a photo taken at cottons of the original version I shaped last year.

 This board was hand shaped by myself using US Blanks red density foam and has a clear-sanded volan glass job. This is a rare, stock board available for sale directly through me. If you are interested, feel free to email me or send me a message on facebook.

No comments: